Monday, November 28, 2016

The Makhaan Chor

Hello World!!

"Thank you for helping me move in!" I told my neighbor, the old lady. 

It was my first time living all alone and I was so excited! Vrindavan was such a beautiful city! I couldn't wait to explore it. 

"Are you listening to me?" I suddenly heard the lady screech. 

She had stopped at the door and turned around to face me. I had been so busy day dreaming about exploring Vrindavan that I had no idea what she was trying to tell me. 

"Could you repeat that? I am not sure that I heard correctly," I said with a smile hoping that she wouldn't realize I hadn't been listening at all. 

She glared at me as she started again."Beware of the Makhaan Chor, or the Butter Theif! Make sure that you hide your makhaan in a place no one will suspect. We all have to worry about our makhaan disappearing, but since you are new here you will be his next target guaranteed. Keep the makhaan safe." 

She turned around and crossed the sidewalk to her house as I rushed to shut the door before I collapsed onto the ground overtaken by laughter. She wanted to warn me about a makhaan chor? That was her big important warning? I concluded that the old lady had become senile. She had obviously lost her mind. Who would need to steal makhaan? You can buy it at the market at any time. I, myself, had bought around four packages. It wasn't even possible for someone to steal that much or even eat that much makhaan at once. I shook my head in disbelief and went to retire for the night. It had been a long day trying to move in not to mention the five-hour-drive here from my parents' house. I suppose that was a plus point as well though. The farther away from them a little bit the better it would be for me! 


~~~

I woke up the next morning to my stomach growling. I knew that I was craving my usual toast with butter for breakfast. I couldn't start my day without it! All of a sudden I heard the sound of glass breaking in the kitchen. I picked up the baseball bat that I had left against my nightstand and slowly got up from my bed. Once I got to the kitchen I saw a little boy standing in the middle of it. I lowered my bat and spoke in my best scary man voice, "What on earth are you doing in my house, little boy?"

I heard him swallow as he slowly turned around. He was the cutest little boy ever, and I am saying that. I hate kids yet there was something about him that entranced me in some way. I couldn't stop staring at his adorable grin and those huge brown eyes filled with mischief. He reminded me of my little brother.

"I am just here to welcome you to our neighborhood!" he mentioned. "I didn't want to scare you!" He looked at the ground as the grin on his face was replaced with a sad frown. He began to draw circles on the kitchen floor with his foot. "I'm sorry." he whispered.

"Don't worry, little man. How about I make both of us some breakfast? Then I can drop you off to your house on my way to work." I was in awe that these words were even coming out of my mouth, but the last thing that I needed was for everyone to hear about how I screamed at a little kid.

"Okay! Do you have any makhaan? I always have some for breakfast!" He sounded so excited that my smile was back.

I nodded as I walked over to the fridge and stuck my hand in the drawer only to find... nothing. NOTHING?! I knew I had bought four packages of butter! I was planning on making a big feast for all of my friends coming over this weekend and knowing that I would be at work all day I had chosen, for the first time, to be prepared. I ran my hand over where the makhaan used to be once more and found a piece of paper. "Welcome to the neighborhood," it read and it was signed The Makhaan Chor. It had to be the little kid! No one else had been in my house since the old lady left! I turned around to find the child gone. So this was what he wanted. Alright then. It was time for a war....

 
The Makhaan Chor, Source: Spiritual India Gallery


Author's Note:  

I really enjoyed learning about Krishna and his love for makhaan! I thought that he was adorable and I kept imagining this scene in my head of what his various thefts of makhaan would be like. I had to write at least one down, and this one was the one that I choose. I got all of my knowledge about Krishna from the Epified videos all about Krishna. I still adore how people make him out to be such a mischievous child. It makes him seem incredibly endearing. He was naughty but he still somehow found a way into everyone's hearts. He was such a cute character that I couldn't help but write about him in some aspect. I would love to know more about him and Radha as well! I find that I enjoy romantic stories but especially more so when there is some mischief involved. I also found this story to be a change from my usual stories as well. I think that it was time for a change. This class is all about finding out who we are as a writer and exploring our creativity, so I assumed that challenging myself would be a good thing!

1 comment:

  1. Hey you have a great story here and it was fun to read! I too really enjoyed getting to learn about Krishna. I actually did several of stories on krishna (I actually wrote about 5 stories in a series just about Krishna. Again, this was a fun read and I hope you have a great rest of the semester! Well done!

    ReplyDelete