Monday, November 7, 2016

Abandoning Love

Hello World!!


The village man’s voice echoed in Rama’s head. Rama had been sitting in his office trying to get some work done for the past hour, but all he could do was think about the village man. He braced himself as he heard the voice once again.
“I am no different from Rama! He accepted his wife even after she lived with Ravana for six months. Who knows what happened then? We are simply living in the example of our leader.”
The voice got louder and louder until it became a scream in his head. Rama saw the man’s face with the gap tooth and mole on his left cheek.
“LONG HAIL RAMA!!”
The village man’s laugh echoed in Rama’s head putting every single part of Rama’s body on fire. Rama jumped out of the chair. There was a loud echoing thud as it dropped to the ground. This was it. He couldn’t take it anymore. Something needed to be done about the constant taunting he had to deal with. It was getting out of hand. The voices needed to be stopped. The jeering and laughing. The pointing and whispering. The village man had gotten everyone talking! Rama gripped the desk in front of him with both hands to steady himself. Sita needed to be taken care of. He couldn’t handle it anymore.
~~~
Sita continued pacing back in forth in her room. She was so excited she could barely contain herself. She ran over to her nightstand and picked up the pregnancy test for the fourth time. She couldn’t believe she was pregnant. Now they would have a perfect family. Ram, Sita, and their child. She felt her eyes well up with tears of joy. She put the pregnancy test in the drawer, and took a few steps back. She twirled around once. Twice. She stopped and wrapped herself in a hug while tears ran down her face. She cradled her womb and whispered to her unborn child. “Let’s go surprise Daddy and make his day a bit better! Are you ready, love?”
She had been imagining Rama’s face lighting up and glowing. She knew he would go crazy buying gifts for the child as well. Teddy bears and train sets. Dolls and cars. She sprinted to the doorway. She had to find him and tell him now!
~~~
Rama came to a sudden stop when he saw Sita in front of him. He paused to take a look at her. Her big beautiful eyes and glowing face. That smile that he had fallen in love with lit up her entire face. He couldn’t help but smile in return himself. That smile had taken away his problems many times before. “FOCUS RAMA. Focus,” he thought to himself. This needs to be done.
“I have to go to a meeting, Sita. Since it is much farther away from here than I would like, I was hoping that you would be willing to accompany me?” He said it just as he had practiced in his office.
“Of course, Rama!! Let me just change.” Sita smiled and walked back to the room.
Rama felt tears beginning to surface in his eyes. No. Not now. He had to be strong. He went to the office to grab his files.
```
They had been traveling for six hours now, and Sita had fallen been asleep for two hours in Rama’s lap. He continued mindlessly stroking her hair and admiring his wife until the driver stopped the car. He turned around and asked, “Now, sir?”
Rama gave a quick nod in response and the driver walked outside and opened the hood of the car.
“Sita, Sita, wake up. The car has broken down,” Rama announced to his wife. This needed to happen as seamlessly and quickly as possible. “Sita.”
Sita woke up and sat up next to Rama looking a little confused. “Would you care to go for a walk, dear?” Rama asked. Sita nodded and opened the car door.
They had been walking for about thirty minutes now when Rama stopped abruptly. “I left my phone in the car!” he stated. “Give me just a second, love. I’ll go grab it and come right back.”
“Let me come with you,” Sita exclaimed
“I’ll be right back. Don’t worry! I run super fast!” He smiled down at her.
“Okay.” Sita gave in and sat down at the tree waiting for him, “I’ll be right here waiting for you!”
Rama turned around and sprinted away as quickly as possible. He needed to leave before he changed his mind.
```
“That’ll be all. Thank you,” Rama exclaimed to the driver.

 “Yes, Sir,” the driver replied as he left. Rama took off his shoes and lay down in his bed. He leaned over and opened the drawer to his nightstand to begin looking for the thermometer. He felt as though his entire body was on fire. The feeling refused to disappear. He felt the thermometer under his fingers and grabbed it. It felt a little different in his hand. He looked down at his hands and immediately sat up. He couldn’t look away. He threw the pregnancy test against the wall and curled up at the front of his bed. He began to rock back and forth. Back and forth. Back and forth. Back and forth…..

```
Sita strained her neck to see if she could spot Rama on his way back. He had been gone for hours it seemed, but she had lost all track of time. It would be today that she had no phone and no watch. “Maybe I should get up and look for him? No. No. He said that he would come back. He said to wait,” she thought to herself. She placed a huge grin on her face once more, and continued to strain her neck to see if she could spot Rama. She knew it wouldn’t be too long before he came back! After all, it’s not like he would just leave her there! She knew he loved her too much to live without her….

Sita waiting for Rama, Source: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/31/Sitas_Exile_by_Raja_Ravi_Varma_%281848_-_1906%29.jpg
Author’s Note: I found that this part of the Ramayana hadn’t been given enough detail in my opinion. Once I read about it on Wikipedia, I knew that I needed to write about it. I needed to bring a change in the story to make it a bit more modern. I thought that this would bring about a positive change. I wanted to create a very strong feeling towards the characters. I wanted Rama to be despised yet understood and to create a form of sympathy towards Sita. I think that this allows for you to understand the circumstances and gives you an insight into the lives of both Rama and Sita.
I am including this piece specifically because I feel that while my last story of Rama and Sita showed a strong independent woman there was a side to Sita that was vulnerable that I wanted to capture. I believe that when we are in love we are all a little vulnerable. I wanted to make sure that you saw that in Sita. I wanted to bring the innocence and good heart in a way that you could imagine it perfectly. I hope that you enjoy reading this story as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Here’s to trying something new!

Source Used: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sita

1 comment:

  1. This story was really good! As I read I found it a little hard to follow along sometimes because of how you seemed to jump back and forth, but I kind of liked it! It helped the reader to feel the seriousness of the situations that you were presenting. I also like how you set this story in a more modern time, but you do so very subtly way. I didn't realize that it was a more modern story until you mentioned something about the phone. And while I knew the original story, I was really on edge to see what would happen. I can't find any grammatical errors, but there are a couple of places that may benefit from some transitional cleanups, but not so badly that the story is suffering at all! Overall I think you did a really great job and I look forward to reading more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete